A Rich History and Track Record of Success

 

     Some ten years ago, Manila Central University set its sights on quality initiatives and focused on curriculum review, high ranking and firm board performance for its colleges, research and development, faculty development, and enrollment.

     In keeping with the times and to set the direction for its stakeholders, the MCU vision, mission, institutional philosophy and core values were amended in 2017. The right focus and direction have since bore fruit as MCU displayed banner developments in the past previous years.

     In 2017, the College of Nursing garnered 100% passing rate for first time takers in both the June and November Nursing Licensure Examinations.

     The College of Optometry continued to dominate the Optometrist Licensure Examinations with an 89% overall passing rate and the MCU graduates getting five of the ten topnotchers in the July 2017 exams.

     Dr. Jennifer Parmerola placed 1st overall with a rating of 88.71%, Dr. Lorielen Mari Manahan placed 2nd, Dr. Allen Hubert Lim 4th, Dr. Jasmine Samonte 5th, and Dr. Mario Emanuel Ablang 10th.

     To add, Dr. Christine Rodriguez, Dean of the MCU College of Optometry, was awarded by the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) as the Most Outstanding Professional of the Year in the Field of Optometry on June 2017

     On the same year, the MCU College of Dentistry was accredited by the PRC as a Continuing Professional Development provider.

     The MCU Basic Education (BEd) Complex Groundbreaking Ceremony was held last January 12, 2017 at the BEd Quadrangle. The 2-building, multi-level structures will house Senior and Junior High School and Grade School students starting school year 2018 to 2019.

     In 2016, the College of Pharmacy’s Brian A. Brinces placed 5th overall in the June Pharmacist Licensure Examination with a score of 91.42%. Dr. Leana Marie Lucero of Optometry placed 9th overall with an average score of 85.50% in the July Optometrist Licensure Examination. While Irish R. Manzon of Midwifery placed 10th overall with a rating of 88.80% in the Midwife Licensure Examination on November.

     A College of Dentistry team, representing the Philippines, placed 3rd in the 94th General Session and Exhibition of the International Association for Dental Research – Student Clinician Program (IADR-SCR) in Seoul, South Korea last June 2016

     The College of Medicine reintegrated with the Manila Central University system to strengthen its academic support structure.

     In 2015, the College of Optometry bagged 100% passing rate in the July Optometrist Licensure Examination with Dr. Norma Villacarlos placing 10th overall with an average of 87.58%.

     Rogiel Zedrix Valdez also of Optometry was 1st runner-up in the Sibol Award – Outstanding Student Creative Research category for the College Level in the Department of Science and Technology-NCR celebration of the 2015 Regional Invention Contests and Exhibits (RICE).

     In June of the same year, the first-ever Essilor Sight Center was inaugurated at the 2nd floor of the PGT Building. The center serves a venue for Optometry students to perform hands-on vision screening in an ideal clinic set-up with fully equipped facility and access to Essilor Academy’s advanced tools and practical training.

     The MCU Optometry program was granted a Center of Excellence (COE) status by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED). This was announced in CHED Memorandum Order No. 38 Series of 2015 issued last December 23, 2015.

     On August 8, 2014, as part of MCU’s 110th founding anniversary, the Purple Owl Complex was inaugurated. The complex is in line with University’s continuing drive to provide quality facilities to its students, employees and other stakeholders. The new building houses the multi-purpose Purple Owl Gym, the 3-storey Zurbaran Hall, an in-campus dormitory for students, and the University Canteen.

     The MCU College of Dentistry and the School of Dentistry of National Yang-Ming University of Taiwan established a bilateral academic agreement that was formalized last December 4, 2014. The MCU-NYMU agreement paves the way in promoting and developing academic cooperation through a faculty and student exchange program, participation in joint research programs and publications.

     The year 2013 marked the start of MCU’s online enrollment, computerized accounting and Human Resources systems.

Beginnings

     Manila Central University traces its beginnings in 1903 when a small group of educators organized a private review class at Liceo de Manila for pharmacy board examination aspirants.

     The success of the review resulted to more students wanting to join the sessions and this brought about the establishment of Escuela de Farmacia del Liceo de Manila in 1904. The school, housed in Rizal Avenue in Manila, was the first private institution operated by Filipinos in the country.

     Enrollment grew rapidly and to cope with the increasing demand, Escuela de Farmacia absorbed some of its outstanding graduates as teachers. In 1910, 1908 graduate.Atty. Filemon D. Tanchoco was invited to join the institution as teacher and administrator.

     In 1915, Manila College of Pharmacy was born. As enrollment further increased, a new site was acquired and a building constructed at the corner of Oroquieta and Fugoso Streets in Zurbaran, Manila.

     The College was authorized to confer the degree of graduate Pharmacy and Doctor of Pharmacy by 1917. Then again, an increasing enrollment led to the purchase of a lot at the corner of Mayhaligue and Felix Huertas Streets and the construction of a new building in 1926.

     The College was authorized to confer the degree of graduate Pharmacy and Doctor of Pharmacy by 1917. Then again, an increasing enrollment led to the purchase of a lot at the corner of Mayhaligue and Felix Huertas Streets and the construction of a new building in 1926.

     The College of Dentistry was opened in 1929 and the school was renamed Manila College of Pharmacy and Dentistry. High School classes started in 1940 at the three-story building in Mayhaligue.

     The College operated remarkably until war shut it down in 1941. The school was ravaged during the Japanese occupation to a point where only the bare structure of its buildings remained.

     In 1945, mustering all their savings and energy, Atty. Tanchoco and his wife Purificacion Gallego Tanchoco reopened the school. At that time, some of the original incorporators have passed away or moved on to other interests.

     The following year, the school’s Board of Trustees reorganized. Atty. Tanchoco became the chairman and the school was renamed Manila Central Colleges. Mrs. Tanchoco also began actively participating in the school’s management.

     In addition to Pharmacy and Dentistry, the school at that time offered Liberal Arts, Education, Commerce, Business Administration and Post Graduate courses in Pharmacy. In 1947, the College of Medicine opened.

     The Tanchocos were at the forefront of the school’s expeditious growth with Mrs. Tanchoco credited for spearheading the development of the Medicine and Nursing programs. She led the construction of the MCU Hospital and acquisition of advanced equipment.

     With a diversity of courses, Manila Central Colleges was granted a university status, thus becoming Manila Central University in 1948. Atty. Tanchoco became the first MCU President.

     A year later, MCU inaugurated its nearly 10-hectare campus in Caloocan. Expansion and development projects for the colleges continued to meet the educational demands of the time.

     Additional school buildings and support facilities were constructed in the 1960s. It was also during this time that the College of Optometry, Medical Technology, Midwifery, High and Grade School and Kindergarten levels were opened.

     Atty. Tanchoco dutifully served as president of the University until his passing in 1963. His wife, Mrs. Purificacion Gallego Tanchoco succeeded him and was formally installed as the second president on October 23, 1964.

     The doctoral programs were opened in 1992 and two years later, the College of Physical Therapy began.

     Mrs. Tanchoco served as president until 1994 and was succeeded by Dr. Lualhati Tanchoco Gonzalez. Dr. Gonzalez continued her parents’ legacy and spearheaded MCU’s growth.

     In 1996, all the colleges, departments and facilities moved to the Caloocan campus.

     On August 2003, the Department of Computer Studies was established. The same year, MCU was granted a deregulated status by the Commission on Higher Education giving MCU the privilege to prescribe curricular programs to achieve global competence.

     The year 2004 marked the centennial anniversary of MCU. The MCU administration saw the 100th year as an opportunity to undergo organizational restructuring.

     Dr. Aristotle T. Malabanan’s appointment as the fourth president of MCU in 2009 coincides with the institution’s 105th anniversary. His academic and management prowess and firm resolve to further develop MCU benefited all of its stakeholders especially the students, faculty members and employees.

     In 2015, a review of the MCU Vision, Mission, Institutional Philosophy and Values was conducted.

     On February 15, 2017, the MCU Board of Trustees led by its Chairperson, Mrs. Luningning T. Estanislao, approved the revisions as recommended by MCU President, Dr. Aristotle T. Malabanan.