A Rich History and Track Record of Success

 
1903 Manila Central University traces its beginnings in 1903 when a small group of educators organized a private review class at Liceo de Manila for pharmacy board examination aspirants.
1904 The success of the review resulted to more students wanting to join the sessions and this brought about the establishment of Escuela de Farmacia del Liceo de Manila in 1904. The school, housed in Rizal Avenue in Manila, was the first private institution operated by Filipinos in the country.
 1910 Enrolment grew rapidly and to cope with the increasing demand, Escuela de Farmacia absorbed some of its outstanding graduates as teachers. In 1910, 1908 graduate Atty. Filemon D. Tanchoco was invited to join the institution as teacher and administrator.
 1915 In 1915, Manila College of Pharmacy was born. As enrolment further increased, a new site was acquired and a building constructed at the corner of Oroquieta and Fugoso Streets.
 1926 The College was authorized to confer the degree of graduate Pharmacy and Doctor of Pharmacy by 1917. Then again, an increasing enrolment led to the purchase of a lot at the corner of Mayhaligue and Felix Huertas Streets and the construction of a new building in 1926.
 1940 The College of Dentistry was opened in 1929 and the school was renamed Manila College of Pharmacy and Dentistry. High School classes started in 1940 at the three-story building in Mayhaligue.
 1941 The College operated remarkably until war shut it down in 1941. The school was ravaged during the Japanese occupation to a point where only the bare structure of its buildings remained.
 1945 In 1945, mustering all their savings and energy, Atty. Tanchoco and his wife Purificacion Gallego-Tanchoco reopened the school. At that time, some of the original incorporators have passed away or moved on to other interests.
 1946 The following year the school’s Board of Trustees reorganized. Atty. Tanchoco became the chairman and the school was renamed Manila Central Colleges. Mrs. Tanchoco also began actively participating in the school’s management.
 1947 In addition to Pharmacy and Dentistry, the school at that time offered Liberal Arts, Education, Commerce, Business Administration and Post Graduate courses in Pharmacy. In 1947, the College of Medicine opened.The Tanchocos were at the forefront of the school’s expeditious growth with Mrs. Tanchoco credited for spearheading the development of the Medicine and Nursing programs. She led the construction of the MCU Hospital and acquisition of advanced equipment.
 1948 With a diversity of courses, Manila Central Colleges was granted a university status, thus becoming Manila Central University in 1948. Atty. Tanchoco became the first MCU President.
 1949 A year later, MCU inaugurated its 10-hectare campus in Caloocan. Expansion and development projects for the colleges continued to meet the educational demands of the time.
 1960 Additional school buildings and service facilities were constructed in the 1960s. It was also during this time that the College of Optometry, Medical Technology, Midwifery, High and Grade School and Kindergarten levels were opened.
 1963 Atty. Tanchoco dutifully served as president of the University until his passing in 1963. His wife, Mrs. Purificacion Gallego-Tanchoco succeeded him and was formally installed as the second president on October 23, 1964.
 1992 The doctoral programs were opened in 1992 and two years later, the College of Physical Therapy began.
 1994 Mrs. Tanchoco served as president until 1994 and was succeeded by Dr. Lualhati Tanchoco-Gonzalez. Dr. Gonzalez continued her parents’ legacy and spearheaded MCU’s growth.
 1996  In 1996, all the colleges, departments and facilities moved to the Caloocan campus.
 2003 On August 2003, the Department of Computer Studies was established. The same year, MCU was granted a deregulated status by the Commission on Higher Education giving MCU the privilege to prescribe curricular programs to achieve global competence.
 2004 The year 2004 marked the centennial anniversary of MCU. The MCU administration saw the 100th year as an opportunity to undergo an organizational review to set its sight on the coming years and beyond.
Specific programs were built and implemented in research and development, faculty development, enrolment, curriculum review, and a high ranking and firm board performance for its colleges, among others.
 2009 Dr. Aristotle T. Malabanan’s appointment as the fourth president of MCU in 2009 coincides with the institution’s 105th anniversary. His academic and management prowess, together with his genuine concern for the development of the institution and all its stakeholders is what MCU needs to face the challenges ahead.
Present The new management thrust is the boost the institution needs to further its rich history and track record of success.